Toi Ora begin in a small factory space above a spectacles shop in Mount Eden. It was first registered under the Charitable Trusts Act (1957) on 13 July 1995.
As Toi Ora evolved, a larger space was needed. The trust then moved to another space above a mechanics workshop in Arch Hill. As the trust began to make a difference and have a positive impact within the wider community, more funding was granted.
In August 2009, Toi Ora moved to its current location at 6 Putiki Street, Arch Hill, where a long-held dream of having its own gallery became a reality. With more space and money, Toi Ora has been able to provide a more and more diverse programme of classes covering the arts spectrum, and over the years, new and exciting resources continue to be introduced.